Friday, June 6, 2008

Labor Remembers (For P.R.)

On a more somber note, the same administrative players who attempted to terminate me turned around and did the same number on my boss, the ER director. Oddly enough, one of their complaints about her, what they say made her such a "low performing" manager, was that she failed to leave a paper trail long and deep enough for them to fire me without fear of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

Of course, they didn't say it in so many words.

The fact that both events occurred within the same week and the fact that it was the CNO's last week of employment in the organization suggests to me that both were attempted hatchet jobs. The fact that the CNO chose her last day and her last two hours of work to attempt to discipline my ER boss suggests that she (the CNO), and not my boss, had done her job poorly.

Think about it.

You are the Chief Nursing Officer in an organization, the tallest hog at the RN trough, and yet you tolerate and fail to reprimand two "negative" and "malcontent" nursing employees for almost two years, waiting only until your last week on the job to do anything about their "divisive" behavior? Talk about a bad manager! Low performer, indeed!

But Idaho is a "right-to-work" state (read: right to be fired at will for any reason at all) and so I guess you don't have to be good at managing or administrating in order to fire an employee any time you want to, regardless of whether or not you've followed your own organizational policies (which, in fact, in my case, they didn't). Power seems to be the administrative remedy for lack of competence, finesse, or adherence to organizational rules.

My boss and I took different paths, however. I chose to fight back and keep my job. My boss chose to tell the CEO (for the CNO had already cut and run) to take the job and their evaluation of her and shove 'em.

I respect her for that, and for sticking up for me when she did. Just goes to show, the ethical aren't always the winners, and those at the top who think they've won aren't always ethical, or winners.

In fact, if I had to rate their administrative performance, I'd say they're pretty low performers because they really made a mess out of this. Not only am I still an employee, but now the ER is in shambles for lack of a director. Makes me wonder who is the greater threat to the organization's ability to meet its stated goal of quality and compassionate health care.

1 comment:

Patrick Bageant said...

You need to make a very public, very aggressive bid for PR's job.

How hilarious would THAT be?